Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:22:03 +0200

Hi Banlu,

Banlu Kemiyatorn wrote:
Please take a few minutes to vote.

don't you think we should exchange a few arguments on this before we start to vote? There are a few countries around were you may see the results of uninforemed voting :-)

Here my comments on the different backends:

cairo - great potential, when cairo itself is available everywhere, but at the moment does not display images properly and is to slow at the moment.

art - most functional complete of them all, but requires additional libraries and fonts.

xlib - works almost everywhere

xdps - currently unsupported

From that list I would say that xlib should be the default as it will run in all environments where any of the others will run. We could argue about the case, where we can proof inside of configure, that all the pre-requesits of art are fulfilled (e.g. all the libraries and fonts are there). In that case it would be fine for me to have art as the default. It wont help anybody to require loads of additional software just to get our backend running. Up to now the GNUstep approach was to use whatever is there and if something is missing rather leave out some functionality instead of not working at all.

Cheers