Re: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:49:03 +0100 (BST)

> Hi,
>
>  I just spent the better part of the day trying to get GNUstep installed
> on my Mac somehow. I can't get it to work. Here's all the things I've
> tried in the past year:
>
> [...]
>
> 2) Installing Debian ("Woody"). I got as far as running GNUstep apps,
> but apt-get for Woody doesn't include the dev tools. And I couldn't find
> any hints at how to get those installed on that OS, so I was stuck.

This sounds like the most promising / easy way of getting all gnustep
working well.

Install Debian and get a normal stable Debian system running.  Do *not*
install the Debian gnustep packages (it would be good to use premade
packages, but it seems you didn't have luck with those).

Once you're there, you're a couple of steps from heaven.  Just compile
gnustep from source packages following the normal unix/linux instructions.
That's the most tested and used configuration and everything should
compile and run out of the box.

Thanks