NSToolbar look/selecting items

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: NSToolbar look/selecting items
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:18:25 +0100

Hi,

 just played with NSToolbar for the first time. Felt like back home in
MacOS X ;-)

 I always kind of preferred the "OpenStep Toolbar look". E.g. like
GNUMail.app's "Preferences" window has it. Basically, it's simply a
scrolling NSMatrix of pushbuttons there, but I understand that such a
look doesn't go too well with custom views (like the popup menu in
ToolbarExample.app, which would then be a popup button on top of a
pushbutton then), so I can understand why it looks like Apple's design
now.

 However, what I think is kind of awkward is the "chevron" with its
popup menu that is shown when there's not enough room to show some
items. Wouldn't a scrollbar be more user-friendly here?

 Finally, I noticed that GNUstep's toolbar doesn't yet support MacOS X
10.3's setSelectedItemIdentifier: method. Is anyone working on that, or
should I try to have a go at it?

Cheers,
-- M. Uli Kusterer
http://www.zathras.de