Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 2: ProjectCenter

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 2: ProjectCenter
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:52:31 +0100

Hey Pete,

On Saturday, November 20, 2004, at 12:29 AM, Pete French wrote:

Firstly, make generally appears in /usr/bin true, however, on most
systems /usr/bin/make is not GNU make, which is what GNUstep needs. It
may be called 'gmake' and live in /usr/local/bin, /foo/bar or whatever.
One should never assume a given program is available on every system.

You completely missed his point. What he was saying is that it
doesnt move on a given system. If it's in /usr/local/bin/gmake today
it will also be there tomorrow! So you should set it per-system rather
than per-project, because the location of make is *system* specific
rather than *project* specific.

thanks, you expressed it more clearly than I did myself. That is my personal opinion, maybe it is not correct. I reported a "problem" and proposed a solution. If other people have different necessities we shall discuss this. I hope the original design had a motivation behind it and not just "by chance"...

-R