From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Summary: GNUstep CGI
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:05:48 +0100

Hi all,

special thanks to Adrian Robert who pointed me into the right direction. I tried "umask 077" in /etc/profile yesterday. Building my framework as ahoesch with this resulted in

ls -l /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/Versions/ A/libFBEnterprise.so.1.0.0

-rwx------ 1 ahoesch other 1578188 Dec 20 19:21 /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/Versions/ A/libFBEnterprise.so.1.0.0

I could execute the CGI as root on the command line and even as ahoesch which seems odd to me now. However, doing

chmod -R a+rx /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/

fixed the porblem and the CGI could be executed by apache again. So it definetly is a file permissionissue. I quickly chnaged my umask back to 022 (never change a running system). Now I get

ls -l /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/Versions/ A/libFBEnterprise.so.1.0.0 -rwxr-xr-x 1 ahoesch other 1578188 Dec 20 20:17 /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/Versions/ A/libFBEnterprise.so.1.0.0

This is executable by apache again. I could have come to this conclusion earlier. However, I had also tried

chmod -R 777 /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework
        chmod -R 777 /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/Adaptor

which as I learned now is not a good idea. CGIs must not be writable by the group and by otehrs, otherwise they are not exeuted by apache for security reasons.

Thanks!

Regards,

  Andreas

The permissions you show here are these of the symbolic link. Could you also provide the ones from the real library file?

bash-2.03$ ls -l /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/ Versions/A/libFBEnterprise.so.1.0.0 -rwx------ 1 ahoesch other 1578188 Dec 20 19:21 /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/ Versions/A/libFBEnterprise.so.1.0.0

I saw that and tried

chmod 777 /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/ Versions/A/libFBEnterprise.so.1.0.0

This didn't fix the problem.

Did you test the application on the command line with the same user that is used by Apache?

Yes, as root and as ahoesch.

Following a hint from Adrian I tried

chmod a+rx /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/ Versions/Current/libFBEnterprise.so.1

This did not solve the issue. Following a further hint from him I then tried:

chmod -R a+rx /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/

This solved it. However, I have never done that before. It used to work without this extra step until yesterday. Could anybody enlighten me what could have changed so that this extra step is required now?