Re: New to GNUstep

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: New to GNUstep
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:51:25 +0100

Am 24.12.2004 um 11:33 schrieb Dirk Lattermann:

has someone considered porting the MacOSX-version of Abiword to GNUstep? When I looked at a release-candidate, I couldn't make much sense of how it is built.

Apple's Xcode doesn't use explicit build instructions, like a Makefile, it does on the fly build analysis. Each source file is processed through it's appropriate compiler (if one exists) and all results are packaged into a application/framework/whatever.

To allow more than one build result, Xcode uses "Targets". Each file added to a project can, and usually is, member of one or more targets. Xcode doesn't really mind where a actual file exists as long as it's somewhere in the build directory.

 I guess one needs Apple development tools to get started, ...

It's possible to disassemble a project.pbxproj file by external software. It's XML but makes extensive use of encoded references (to avoid human redability? ;-) ). You can safely ignore the .pbxuser file(s).

As a last resort, you could set up PearPC ... Xcode comes for free with each OS X distribution ...

HTH,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/