Re: Survey: Projectcenter

From: Dirk Olmes
Subject: Re: Survey: Projectcenter
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:45:55 +0100 (CET)

> I think that PC, instead of having the most powerful editor in the world,
> it should focus rather on aiding development. Note the the difference
> between aiding the editing process and aiding the development process.
>
> For example: http://ide.roard.com/wakka.php?wiki=Main
>
> The development environment should be on higher level than on the level of
> editing source files. Those days are over.

Well, basically not. Since voice recognition is not up to par yet, there's
no other way than maually hacking sources into the editor. If that's a
whole class or just a single method doesn't matter: editing facilities are
crucial for an IDE (at least for me).

> Editor should be as simple as
> possible, no fancy features, just plain text editing with small code
> formating
> aids. What should be powerful in a modern ide are code modelling tools,
> analysis and refactoring features, meta-data features or many others.

Yes, very well spoken.

> "Advanced" features of an editor in a IDE?
> - syntax higlighting
> - indentation
> - completion (optional)
> - find & replace
>
> Optionally, the edited code should be no longer than a single method.
>
> Why? Because one should focus on the real problem of the application, not
> on the development process or on the source files.

As a poor soul who has to do Java hacking for living I use Eclipse as the
primary IDE. Its development aids are by far more than what I've seen
before - except for Smalltalk browsers, of course.

I even use Eclipse's CDT for GNUstep programming, although almost none of
the language-supporting features (syntax highlighting, completion etc)
work for ObjC source.

I guess it should't be too much work to implement most of the features
described in http://ide.roard.com/ using the Eclipse platform. The only
(possible major) disadvantage would be that Eclipse itself is implemented
in Java.

Just my 0.01 EUR,

-dirk

--
Anyway kids, have fun, play nicely, be good. And remember - if it ain't
broke, hit it again.