Re: Installer UI advices

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:50:29 +0000

> have learned to drive a manual transmission car. Driving and flying
> airplanes is getting easier every day. Why can't computing?

Are they ? Cars have remained pretty much the same in control
terms for decadees, and automatic transmissions are starting to
die out (thank god!). As to aircraft, I see no significant differences in
controls between this years shiny new C172 and the 30 year old one I fly.

But I think in your analogy the users equate to passengers. They dont
want to know how to fly the plane or drive the car. they just want to
get from A to B. Same with users - they just want to use the apps
and get their work done. They dont care if the underlying computing gets
harder or easier, thats our concern, not theirs.

You have to hide the complexity, you cant get rid of it because it is
necessary for the whole lot to work. If you have dictatorial control
over your OS then it's easy but for GNUstep it isnt because it runs on many
systems. So all we can do is stick to the bits we *do* have control
over - i.e. if you install an app it goes either in your Apps
directory or the system Apps directory. Nowhere else.

Conclusion: Dont use the installer to try and package up things which
arent GNustep stuff and we'll do fine.

-bat.