Re: Installer UI advices

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:27:01 +0100

Am 17.03.2005 um 13:55 schrieb M. Uli Kusterer:

I'm just trying to get across that we want to stick with archives, because they hold no advantage over MacOS's DMGs.

It doesn't matter how you wrap your bunch of files or wether you wrap it at all. In the end you always have the same: some files appearing to the OS as being readable.

The matter is wether your app is self contained (runs where ever you decided to have it available) or wether you require installers. Installers just unpacking, installers unpacking to a specific location, installers running scripts to modify the existing system. That's where the user experience comes from: Can (s)he just move that directory to the trash, has (s)he to look up several files, has (s)he to run some (possibly corrupt or unavailable) uninstallation script, ... What does (s)he do if (s)he hasn't access to that file the installer wants to mofify. What, if this other app want's a contradictionary adjustment?

Having self-contained apps and a system adjusting its self, you'll get a smooth user experience. Else ... see above.

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/