Re: [GDL2] EODetailDataSource and EODisplayGroup

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [GDL2] EODetailDataSource and EODisplayGroup
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:35:03 +0100

Dirk Lattermann wrote:
Thank you, David, for your explanation, but unfortunately they do not
help me much. I will try to explain what I want to do.

Hello Dirk,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm very busy currently.

I intend to programmatically create a display group for a detail data
source.

You are doing this with GDL2's EOInterface? Well, to tell you the truth, I doubt we have the code in place for any of this to actually work, but I think Matt Rice has been filling in some blanks, so I may be wrong. I only went through some primitive test cases when I started implementing it a while ago, but I've never used a UI with DB access yet.

Until now in my test setups of EOInterface, I created all the interface
elements (or have them awake from nib), then I created the data sources
and display groups and connected everything together via associations.
Then, before the user gets control, I told the data source(s) to fetch
their data.

Obviously, this isn't the way to go because the detail data sources get
their editing context only after fetching data in their master data
source, which qualifies the detail data source via an
EOMasterDetailAssociation.
But how can I proceed if I don't want to fetch before the UI is set up
(e.g., if the user should be able to restrict the query before starting
it)?

I think we need to use either some of the delegation methods or notifications to set this up from with EOInterface. I was hoping to have a peel into how it should be done, but I just don't have the time right now. But I've moved it to the top my TODO list, as soon as I've got some time.

Even with an implementation of EOInterface that supported putting
display groups, associations (and data sources) into a nib file,
wouldn't this work only if fetchesOnLoad of the display group is set?

I think the EOMasterDetailAssociation will set the data source in the detail display group when the master display group changes selection... but this is just guessing right now.

Or, when modelling everything in IB (I guess the detail data sources
where created when dragging an EOMasterDetailAssociation from the
palette and connecting it to the two display groups?), did IB fetch
objects and qualify the detail data source
before setting up the display group?

There is a similar problem related to the last column display group
implicitly created by EORecursiveBrowser which I'm implementing,
but I fear my writing here is already confusing enough...

I'm really sorry I can't be of more help right now. I'll get back to this as soon as I can. Feel free to ask keep asking questions though, if I can quickly answer them, I will. This one just needs some investigation which I just can't squeeze in right now.

Cheers,
David