Re: GNUstep StartUp on a Mac Powerbook

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep StartUp on a Mac Powerbook
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:23:58 -0700

On Mar 28, 2005, at 8:39 AM, Tabitha McNerney wrote:
I decided to switch to gcc version 3.3.5 and these problems with
libobjc have vanished. I have built gnustep-make with the gnu-gnu-gnu
target but am wondering if I should change to apple-apple-apple
because when trying to make gnustep-base I have these errors now:

apple-apple-apple is for when you want to use all Apple/Cocoa stuff, but just need a few of the additional things that GNUstep offers (for compiling GSWeb, for instance).

In file included from GSCategories.m:27:
../../Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/GSCategories.h:41:35: warning:
Foundation/Foundation.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ../../Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/GSCategories.h:48,
                 from GSCategories.m:27:
../../Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/GSObjCRuntime.h:624:38: warning:
Foundation/NSZone.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ../../Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/GSCategories.h:48,
                 from GSCategories.m:27:
../../Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/GSObjCRuntime.h:632: error: parse
error before '*' token
../../Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/GSObjCRuntime.h:633: warning: type
defaults to `int' in declaration of `GSObjCZone'
../../Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/GSObjCRuntime.h:633: warning: data
definition has no type or storage class
In file included from GSCategories.m:27:
../../Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/GSCategories.h:181: error: cannot
find interface declaration for `NSCalendarDate'
make[3]: *** [shared_obj/GSCategories.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [Additions.all.subproject.variables] Error 2
make[1]: *** [libgnustep-baseadd.all.library.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

I have exported CC in my bash profile correctly to use my newly built
and installed gcc 3.3.5 separate from XCode's gcc, etc. The complaints
above such as for the Foundation class headers is a bit perplexing and
I'm not sure how to interpret this. Do I need to tweak my environment
variables in my bash profile? Or maybe I royally messed up something
else. I'm trynig to do this as much by the book according to the
documentation as possible.

Well this error is what you get when gnustep-base thinks it is compiling with apple-apple-apple, but since you are using GNU gcc, it can't find the Apple Foundation headers. So, yes, there is something messed up. Make sure you really did compile gnustep-make with gnu-gnu-gnu. You have to do this explicitly on OSX:

cd make
./configure --with-library-combo=gnu-gnu-gnu

Then make sure to source GNUstep.sh after you have installed gnustep-make.