Re: Newbie problem with fonts

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Newbie problem with fonts
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:34:44 +0200

Diptansu Das wrote:
  I have become intersted in the GNUstep environment,
so I installed it in a Cygwin environment sometime
back. I have installed make, base, gui and back, along
with gnustep-objc and ffcall. I wanted to use libart
as the backend. Everything compiles nicely, but when i
start even simple applications like the Calculator in
gnustep-examples, I don't see any letters. Even the
menu doesnt have any letters on it. I installed fonts
from a package posted by Alexander Malmberg. After
twiddling with it for hrs, donts suddenly appeared,
for no apparent reason. However, today I wanted to recompile the latest
snapshot of gnustep-make, and after i recompiled
everything, the fonts have again disappeared... I
reinstalled all the fonts as I had done before, but
nothing happens....

  I wonder if anybody can help me on this? I used
--prefix=/usr/local/GNUstep as a configuration option
for all packages. Could this be a problem? The font
files are being written onto
/usr/local/GNUstep/Local/Library/Fonts/ .

I cannot comment on your specific problem, but could you please explain the environment you are running GNUstep in a bit? Looks like you have got some sort of Windows with a Cygwin on top. I am not even able to compile any current GNUstep with Cygwin, so you must either have a rather oldish GNUstep or worked around this. Now for Windows the default backend and graphics are win32 and winlib. Do you use Cygwins X to be able to have a x11 backend? If not, how are you combining win32 with art?