Re: Building with GNUstep make on Panther/Tiger

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Building with GNUstep make on Panther/Tiger
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:05:59 +0200

Hi,

we are trying to build bundles and tools on Tiger using GNUstep make. While linking a bundle we get

 Linking bundle HolzPoolBundle ...
ld: can't locate file for: -lbundle1.o
make[1]: *** [/Build/HolzPoolBundle/HolzPoolBundle.bundle/./HolzPoolBundle] Error >> 1

While linking a tool we get

 Linking tool Adaptor ...
ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
make[1]: *** [/Build/Adaptor/shared_obj/Adaptor] Error 1
make: *** [Adaptor.all.tool.variables] Error 2

Well I know that Panther works fine with GNUstep. I don't know about Tiger - I've heard people have had trouble with it.

Any chance Frameworks, tools and apps built on Panther (using GNUstep make) will run on Tiger? At least the apps build on Jaguar don't really work on Tiger which is more or less to be expected. We e.g. have a subclass of NSImageView in one app. If Apple modified the ivars on NSImageView from Jaguar to Panther/Tiger this will of course break everything. I find it discouraging that apps aren't binary compatible between 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4, although I understand why. I guess Apple tries to solve this issue with xCode by creating fat bundles containing code for all three OS versions.

How do you guys manage this in production environments where not all Macs can always be upgraded to the newest OS? I would hate to have 3 different dirs with binaries on the NFS server for the 3 different OSes. Until now we haven't been able to build anything on Tiger with GNUstep make. This is a problem since all Macs shipped from now on will come with Tiger and won't run Panther (just tried that with a new G5 iMac).

Thanks,

  Andreas