Actors for StepTalk: help wanted

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Actors for StepTalk: help wanted
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:01:39 +0200

Hello,

I am preparing a specification for Actors for StepTalk. Actors are going to push
scripting to higher level and will allow creation of custom objects.  Besides
other things they can be used for fast application prototyping as started by
Nicolas Roard using Gorm.

I am looking for a helping hand for implementing it.

What needs to be done (briefly):

Actor class
- actor is an object with methods written in any StepTalk supported language
(pure C functions would be possible too)
- it looks like STScriptObject (see
StepTalk/Frameworks/StepTalk/STScriptObject.[hm])

Traits (delegation mechanism)
- inspriation comes from Sun's Self language, however it is not exactly the very
same thing
- traits are like super in ObjectiveC/Smalltalk, they allow kind of inheritance
or delegation; one actor can have more traits (more delegates)
- dictionary of traits for the actor
- forwarding to traits/delegates when no actor method is found

If you would like to help, you do not need to know StepTalk. I will guide you
and you will learn something. Just drop me an email.

Thanks,

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi