Project Center segfault and nil objects

From: Duncan Anker
Subject: Project Center segfault and nil objects
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:10:57 +1000

When I initially installed GNUstep, Project Center was working fine. More recently (and after several upgrades of everything) It would segfault every time the mouse was moved over a button.

After some investigation I discovered the crash was occurring within objc_msg_lookup, although I couldn't see why. I added a guard clause in [PCButton mouseMoved] to return immediately if ttWindow was nil, as that was the receiver that was crashing. It now seems to work again.

I was of the belief that it is legal to send messages to nil in Objective C, and nothing would happen. This is supposed to be one of the benefits of it after all, not having to check every object before sending a message. Given that assumption is true then, is it possible that nil has a different value between the Project Center support libraries and the Objective C runtime?

Everything is built with the same compiler (gcc 4.0.1 although I had the same problems with 3.3).

--
Duncan Anker
Server 101, Web Hosting & E-Commerce

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0