Re: Windows and GNUstep

From: rkm
Subject: Re: Windows and GNUstep
Date: 7 Jul 2005 13:37:55 -0700

Philip Mötteli wrote:

> I mean, after all, we had that situation for years now: GNUstep works
> well on Linux, but has not been interesting for most of the
> developers. The big potential of OpenStep developers are Mac
> developers and Mac developers don't targetLinux, they target Windows.
> If we want those developers to help GNUstep, we have to change their
> perception of GNUstep's Windows port.

That's me. I'm an ex-NeXT, Mac OS X guy. I do some programming for
small groups who run Windows. I've experimented with GNUstep. I'm
pleased with the applications I am able to create, but deploying them
is a challenge. I installed Linux on VMWare on one of the faster
workstations to host the applications. Then I spent time looking for a
reasonble Cygwin/X configuration that worked well with GNUstep. It all
worked pretty well but there were authentication issues and it required
significant effort. The group did not have much IT support from their
division. Then they were absorbed by a Pediatric division with a large
IT infrastructure. The new IT staff has zero interest in creative
solutions so I've shelved that approach for now.

These are in house applications. I can work with what GNUstep provides
now. I don't require compatibility with Apple's rapidly advancing
frameworks; impressive as they are.

I hate to admit it, but Windows is where I need GNUstep the most.

-Ken