Re: Does anyone else find the main site confusing?

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Does anyone else find the main site confusing?
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:27:08 -0700 (PDT)

Adam,

--- Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:
>

> > This was a general question requiring some concensus amoung the
> > community. The
> > discuss list was the appropriate place.  If you have a problem with
> > that, email
> > me directly and we can talk about it.
> >
> > Whether you like it or not, website issues WILL be discussed here, so
> > you'd
> > better get used to it.
> >

> I think it's fine to discuss general website issues on discuss, but if
> you have a specific issue that can easily be fixed, why not just email
> webmasters about it?  Typically people just wait and wait until they
> get fed up and post some long message about the state of the website on
> discuss.

I believe that the webmasters list is okay for discussion about issues with the
website.  I was asking the users on discuss if anyone else was experiencing the
same problem as I was, since the discuss list has a larger audience of
non-webmasters than the webmasters list does.  I was looking for the user
perspective.  :)

> All of the recent suggestions have been good, but they could have been
> implemented long ago if someone has said something.

Quite true.  For me, I was happy to live with the current site the way it is
until I showed someone the site recently and ran into the problem described in
my previous email.   I thought about it from the perpspective of a new user and
felt as though, if I were a new user, some of the things on the site might not
be readily apparent/intuitive.  It's not so much a matter of not wanting to say
anything as not realizing something needed to be said until I looked at it from
another perspective.

I do this excercise (thinking about it as a new user) with Gorm and other apps
all of the time, I just never really turned my attention to the website.

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.