Re: Time to communicate

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Time to communicate
Date: 06 Oct 2005 07:47:12 GMT

=?iso-8859-2?b?U2G5bw==?= Kiselkov <diablos@manga.sk> wrote:
> Personally, I very much dislike big 'all in one' solutions and I'd opt for
> splitting the software up into several apps, each of which does one thing, but
> does it well. [...]

I have no particular attachment to either way of working,
whether it's all in one application with bundles, or whether
it's some CommunicatorAppFramework that makes a number of
apps which behave in a consistent way. I suspect all-in-one is
easier because some parts (IMAP, MIME, encryption) benefit from
a consistent user interface, perhaps don't divide neatly between
applications and would seem clunky as Services, but if someone
can write it sensibly as separate applications, fantastic!

The consistent interface is the important part. I don't
use TalkSoup now for example, because it uses the annoying
"tabbed book" interface common on other desktops instead of a
GNUMail-style interface.

Best wishes,
--
MJR/slef