Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:30:54 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu,  6 Oct 2005 16:17:56 +0200, Stefan wrote:
[...]
> - if they would use GNUstep, they will widen developer and support base
> to those who do not own a Mac and therefore do not have OS X
> - on OS X they would use Cocoa, on other platforms they can use GNUstep
> for development

Yes, however, Cocoa offers more functionality that is not yet (there, I said
it :-) fully available.

> - with GCC 4+ it would be possible to mix Objective C (cocoa) code with
> C++ (oo.org) code

That would require GNUstep to compile with GCC-4.1 which is not yet (oops, I
did it again :-) possible.

> I think they are not very aware of GNUstep.

Not many are, apparently.

> Benefits for them: portable framework and more potential developers,
> solution to actual problem
> Benefits for us: publicity, usage by large project, more feedback

Absolutely.

[...]
> p.s.: 'not yet'-reason is not an obstacle, as it is not immediate action,
> but rather longer project plan.

Yes, however, IMHO some (if not all) of the 'not yet'-issues need be
resolved before offering a 'proposal.' Otherwise, especially with respect to
missing functionality, they wouldn't be interested.

--
Chris