Re: GWorkspace.dmg for Mac OS X?

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: GWorkspace.dmg for Mac OS X?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:05:59 +0300

On 2005-10-23 22:13:37 +0300 unix.s@freenet.de wrote:

Hello, list!
I wonder why there is no Mac OS X disk image for the GWorkspace.app. I know this Application from Linux and like it very much. So I tried to compile GNUstep on Mac OS X, but I failed several times. I am not a software developer so this may be my fault. I think GWorkspace could be very interesting for macusers, I now many who are not very comfortable with Apple's Finder. But for a user who is not skilled in software developing the installation of GWorkspace isn't an option. So my wish would be an easy to install disk image for Mac OS X like we already have with GNUmail for example. Is this possible?

Regards, Karsten

No. This because GWorkspace needs a NSWorkspace class with the behaviour
described in the Apple documentation. Unfortunately Apple has completly changed
this class but not its documentation; so, not knowing what the Apple
NSWorkspace methods really do, I can't use any conditional compilation.
For the moment the only way to build GWorkspace on OS X is to use the GNUstep
libraries.
You say that you have problems compiling GNUstep; have you tried GNUstep
Startup?