Re: The Roadmap

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: The Roadmap
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

Stefan,

--- Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:

> Again and again,
>
> Here is a page that I have started long time a go as a substrate for roadmap
> grow:
>
> http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Roadmap
>
> Sad is, that noone has added any contents there except few corrections, small
> updates.
>
> Can one of respected GNUstep authorities look at it and make sure that:
>
> 1. The roadmap should contain list of ACHIEVABLE milestones
> 2. Those milestones should be marked as release blocking or postponeable to
> next
> release
> 3. Milestones should be broken into implementable tasks
> 4. Each task should refer to a feature patron(s)/knowledge holder(s)
> 5. Tasks should be listed on the project management page, which is savannah

I will take a look at this.

> As Sheldon Gill noted: "... project management is a key issue. Probably THE
> issue. The size and complexity have grown beyond simple, organic
> organisation."
>
> No, roadmap is not project management, it is a part of project management as
> well as defined achievable goal and defined requirements. Roadmap is a
> journey plan to the goal to satisfy requirements.

What Sheldon is saying applies very well in the world of software built for
compensation, but Free Software and Open Source "find thier own level".   This
means that it is inherently impossible to *dictate* to people on any open
source project what they should or should not work on.

A roadmap or a project plan provides a guide for existing and potential
contributors to see what they are interested in helping to implement.
Nevertheless it is only part of the solution here.

> Who is going to manage the roadmap? Anyone can fill-in information, but there

> should be one person responsible for making it reasonable. It should be
> someone with authority in the GNUstep community.

I am willing to manage it.

> Regards,
>
> Stefan Urbanek

GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.