Re: GNUstep.conf

From: Dirk Olmes
Subject: Re: GNUstep.conf
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:43:38 +0100 (CET)

>> I am for keeping the different domains (user, local, network) if
>> you ask me (did you?) since it allows a fine grained supply of
>> applications. As Einstein said: "make it as simple as possible but
>> not simpler"
>
> Could you elaborate on this ? An example, perhaps ?  I always say it
> rather awkward to have three Applications Folders.

Let me chime in here ...

Back in the 90s I worked for a shop that used OpenStep boxes as
workstation for developers. Primary goal was the exchangeability for local
workstations, i.e. if a machine went broke (which mine did several times),
you'd loose only what was on your local harddrive.

That's where the different domains for Apps (Libraries, Frameworks) came
in handy: install OpenStep on the workstation, including WO-Dev. All the
other apps you'd need for developing came from /Network/Applications,
which was NFS-mounted to each machine.

In the rare case you'd need to use a specific app that was not installed
in /Network/Applications (mainly for self-written utilities) that stuff
went to /Local/Applications.

When my machine broke down and the HD was still alive enough for recovery,
all you'd have to to is tar /Local, transfer it to the newly installed
machine and you were ready to go.

I still use different installation dirs on OSX where all my self-installed
apps go to /Local/Applications. This saved my ass at least once, when the
HD of my old trusty G3 broke and I had to replace it. The only thing I
lost during the transition was Adobe Acrobat Reader which used to refuse
to install in a different location other than /Applications when I first
installed it (yes, that's been a while).

-dirk

--
Anyway kids, have fun, play nicely, be good. And remember - if it ain't
broke, hit it again.