Re: reincarnating nextstep

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: reincarnating nextstep
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:02:44 +0000

Chris B. Vetter wrote:
On 11/18/05, Rogelio M. Serrano Jr. <rogelio@smsglobal.net> wrote:
[...]

Thats ok im not planning on world domination. That looks like a good plan
though.
The installer is not a big issue for me. The distro im building is designed for
gnustep.

Not intending to troll here, or start another OS-related flame-war,
but why base it on Linux?

I guess this is more of a general question, but why not focus on a
more 'original' clone and base it on Darwin? There are a couple of
aspects, that IMHO would make Darwin the more obvious choice, its MACH
kernel for one thing. Yes, I know there are reported problems with
running GNUstep on Darwin, but those could be overcome if there's
enough focus on fixing them.

I think that to make GNUstep on Darwin realistically maintainable as an OS release, either GNUstep would need to work with Apple's gcc or Darwin would need to work with FSF's gcc - I don't know if either is true. Also, to make a "true" NEXTSTEP-a-like you'd need a display postscript system...

--
Graham Lee
UNIX Systems Manager,