Re: Possible future Gorm name change

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: Possible future Gorm name change
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:31:33 +0100

Quoting Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com>:

> Richard,
>

> --- Richard Fillion <rick@centrix.ca> wrote:
>
> > Nice story, much respect to anyone who knows shit like that.
> >
> > Unfortunately this is EXACTLY what's wrong with Gorm (or is it GORM
> > cause it's an acronym?) as a name.
>
> It's usually written "Gorm", but it is an acronym for GNUstep Object
> Relationship Modeller.
>
> > "Bluetooth" _is_ a cool name.
> > Why?  Cause it's just a technology, and like ports on the back of
> > computers, it needs a name to distinguish it from other
> > technologies.  It's catchy, and there are only a few big computer
> > technologies for users to remember.  Bluetooth, Firewire, DVI, USB,
> > etc..
> >
> > Saying "Gorm is fine cause Bluetooth has been successful as a name"
> > or even "GIMP" like was previously mentioned isn't doing yourselves a
> > favor.
> >
> > GNUstep is _really_ freaking cool (I'm neutral about the name, I mean
> > the project).  You guys are in denial of two things though : A) Looks
> > matter, and B) Names matter.  I'm not even going to go into A) as
> > it's been argued to death.  Lets just look at names here.
>
> I don't think anyone is in denial about looks anymore.  Also, since I posed
> the
> question, I don't think we're in denial about names either.
>
> > ProjectCenter : Beautiful name, gives you an idea of what this is.
> > You're managing some type of project with it.
> >
> > Gorm, or should I say GNUstep Object Relationship Modeler.  I know
> > that acronyms are big in FOSS land, but honestly, this is an
> > abortion.  "GIMP" at least sounds funny.  A gorm, wtf is a gorm?
>
> WTF is a GIMP?

I must agree that Gimp sounds somewhat funnier, but I don't consider that to be
so much of an advantage. And also, Gorm is a tool for developers = people who
don't care much about having their desktop decorated with enough pink, but
instead just want to get the job done.

> > Sure it does more than building interfaces, but its main purpose,
> > what makes people want to begin using it, is designing GUIs for
> > GNUstep applications.  Heck even "Relation Modeler" would be a step
> > up if you ask me.  Interface Creator, anything really would be better
> > than Gorm.
>
> Thanks for your input, I'll take it under consideration.
>
> > Next up: *switches keyboard languages* Étoilé.  I'm french, and that
> > may technically be a word, but somehow I doubt that the people who
> > this is aimed towards are all french.  How is this pronounced in
> > english?
>
> Just the same as it is in French. :)

Uh, oh, I must admit I, on the other hand, have absolutely no clue about how
it's prononounced correctly. Am I supposed to read the E's long because of the
accents? Am I supposed to read the trailing 'e' or just let the word end at
'l'? And should I also join the "i" with the following letter and read the "l"
much softer than I would in English? I'm quite puzzled by that name.