Re: Beta-test version of NSMessagePort on windows (mingw32) ready

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Beta-test version of NSMessagePort on windows (mingw32) ready
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:12:07 +0800

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

I got zero response to my announcement of NSMessagePort/ NSMessagePortNameServer for mingw32 last Thursday.

I'm sorry it's taken 6 days for me to reply. I was working over the weekend and haven't had much time.

I certainly haven't had enought time to test your NSMessagePort implementation.

One thing I note, though, is that MailSlots aren't machine local. To quote MSDN:

"The owner of the mailslot can retrieve messages that are stored there. These messages are typically sent over a network to either a specified computer or to all computers in a specified domain."

Given that currently you aren't passing a security descriptor, anyone will be able to post to a message port on another computer as long as it's in the same domain. Certainly not local per user, I'm afraid.

Regards,
Sheldon