Re: Some bug reports and usability issues with GWorkspace.app

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: Some bug reports and usability issues with GWorkspace.app
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:03:56 -0500

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:24:16 +0200
Enrico Sersale <enrico@dtedu.net> wrote:

Thank you for getting back to me.

> I'm not sure if I understand; do you mean the tabbed shelf or the
> whole desktop window?

The whole desktop itself. For example in KDE, Windows, etc, there is a
desktop button that raises the whole desktop until some part of the
desktop is clicked.

> I don't know... "Here it works", on Linux with the art backend and
> on Darwin-8 (no OS X) with the xlib backend. Somebody else with this
> problem? You can hide-show the tabbed shelf also with
> Command-s. Does this work for you?

I have been using Command-s and it works, but I prefer auto hide and
show. Attached is a small screen shot of what happens when using
auto-hide.

> If you are using the xlib backend this is a known problem; else... I
> don't know (it should work).

Yes, I am using the Xlib backend right now. Something changed on my
system and for some strange reason the arts backend keeps saying that
it can't find its fonts even though they are there in
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Fonts (it used to work previously). Plus I
really dislike the font system in the arts backend- why should I
install my fonts twice?

> This should work so: when you drag an icon on the Fiend, it is put
> at the lowest free position; after this you can put it where you
> want.

I got it working now. I didn't realize that it is a two step
process. There is a problem however- each appicon (and the Fiend
itself) shows up as an entry in Window maker's "Window List" with the
very non-discriptive title of "Window" (Window Makers use part of the
resource name as the title). The desired behaviour is to only show the
Fiend entry with the title of "Fiend" and bring up the whole Fiend
itself with clicked.

> The dock is a window that belongs to GWorkspace; then it is logical
> if the first consequence of clicking on the dock is to make
> GWorkspace the active application; after this, GWorkspace sends an
> -activateIgnoringOtherApps: to the other app that becomes, at its
> turn, the active application (if you look at the menu, you will see
> that it has changed). In spite of this, it can happen that the
> application window(s) are not brought to the front; but this is a
> wndowmanager <--> backend problem.

Oh I see. I wonder wouldn't it be better to have the dock as a
seperate app? I don't think this behaviour is what people expect. Does
switching apps bring up the Finder in Mac OS X too?

> You are right; I'll think to a solution. Maybe the full name
> displayed on mouseEntered and the cutten name on mouseExited?

Yes, this is a good solution.

Thanks,
Charles

--
printk("; corrupted filesystem mounted read/write - your computer
        will explode within 20 seconds ... but you wanted it so!\n");