Re: HNUstep and Garbage Collection

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: HNUstep and Garbage Collection
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:17:14 +0000

On 8 Mar 2006, at 06:53, Lloyd Dupont wrote:

Does GNUstep support Garbage Collection?

Sort of.

Does it works well?

Probably not... depending on what classes you want to use and how you want to use them. I expect most classes would be OK.

I added GC to the base library many years ago ... but due to lack of interest it never really got used or thoroughly tested and it's state has probably degenerated over the years. It should not be a hugely difficult task to use it and fix any problems, and I would be very happy to put GC fixes into the distribution ... but I would not expect it to simply work without fixes.

What if I want to used a GCed - GNUstep to port a Mac application to windows.
Would the retain/release be disregarded and be taken over by the GC?

Yes.

Finally how does the reference couting work and when does the collection occurs?

GC in the base library does not use reference counting ... it uses the Boehm garbage collecting library, which uses a mark-sweep mechanism rather than a reference counting one. You can google boehm for details.