Re: GNUstep on MacOSX

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MacOSX
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:52:58 +0200

Le 24 avr. 06 à 01:53, Yves de Champlain a écrit :

Le 06-04-23 à 18:26, Quentin Mathé a écrit :

Well the last time I tried, basically I was getting a segmentation fault every times I was loading a bundle (using FSF GCC 4.0.1, and GNUstep repository version from 3 weeks ago). I stumbled on this issue several times in the previous year. With GDB, I observed the problem was due to every classes in a bundle being correctly registered at runtime on load, but not selectors (even if they were perfectly present in the object files), but I have never been able to figure how I could have fix this behavior.

Which GCC version would you recommend now to compile/use GNUstep on Mac OS X 10.4 ?

Just to be sure, I want to state that I'm trying to use GNUstep Foundation/AppKit in Apple X11 context.

What I found out (with some help !!!!) is that anything that is somehow, sometimes linked to libobjc.A (Apple's) will cause a segfault at startup (in dyld)

for example, on Tiger, gnustep-gui will crash if it uses aspell and if aspell is built with nls support because gettext uses CoreFoundation which is itself linked to libobjc.A. configuring aspell with --disable-nls fix the problem.

I use 1.12.0/0.10.3 gnustep core with FSF gcc 4.1. 4.1 not only accepts objc++ but it alos deals better with -bundle. I also use odcctool-20060123, because Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf found better results at objc regression tests than with Apple's tool chain.

everything should be available through darwinports soon, but I've been saying this for at least two weeks :-\

Well it's a bit off topic, but may be you can help me… Right now, I'm unable to compile FSF GCC 4.1 on Mac OS X 10.4, I just got this error :

checking for powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0-gcc... /Users/qmathe/Desktop/ gccbuild/./gcc/xgcc -B/Users/qmathe/Desktop/gccbuild/./gcc/ -B/gcc41/ powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0/bin/ -B/gcc41/powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0/ lib/ -isystem /gcc41/powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0/include -isystem / gcc41/powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0/sys-include -m64
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
make[2]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

In the config.log, the output is :

configure:2275: checking for correct version of gmp.h
configure:2288: gcc -c -g -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
configure:2278:17: error: gmp.h: No such file or directory
configure: In function 'main':

Then I suppose I have to install libgmp (because it isn't part of Mac OS X by default, right ?), but it looks weird in my opinion taking in account it has never been the case in the past iirc.

Here are my configure flags : '--prefix=/gcc41 --enable-languages=c,c+ +,objc,obj-c++ --enable-threads=posix'

Thanks,
Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé