Re: GNUstep stack trace & gnustep-base.dll path

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep stack trace & gnustep-base.dll path
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:21:45 +0100

On 4 May 2006, at 09:44, David Ayers wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:

On 4 May 2006, at 09:21, David Ayers wrote:

Lloyd Dupont schrieb:

Problem is I would like to replace 'gnustep-base.dll' by a more
multiplatform constant / invocation.
One that could read 'gnustep-base.dll' on windows and
'gnustep-base.dylib' on MacOSX for example...

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/
Reference/index.html
NSBundle: +bundleForLibrary:

I don't think that's what he wants ... it returns the resource bundle
for a named library.
I believe he needs the path to the library itsself, so that he can read
the binary file for debug symbol info.

[snip]

For the running executable, I think you can use [[NSBundle mainBundle]
executablePath].

I guess I was too terse but I would have assumed that:

[[NSBundle bundleForLibrary:@"gnustep-base"] executablePath]

would be what would give the expected result but indeed, this returns:

/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/Resources/gnustep-base/./gnu- gnu-gnu/gnustep-base

for me in a flattended configuration.

Should this be considered a bug?

While Adam is the expert on NSBundle, I think this looks like a bug ... probably on a few counts:

1. I guess in a 'flattened' configuration the 'gnu-gnu-gnu' should not be in there 2. The actual path to the library itsself is not in the resources subdirectory
3. I would expect the library name to be at the end of the path

Now, I hope that the oddities arise because this bundle is a special case produced by a non-standard method (bundleForLibrary which does not exist in OpenStep/MacOS-X). While special case code could be considered a feature rather than a bug, I think it's behavior should be consistent with that of other bundles! I would have thought it should return the path of the library.

I am not sure what the behavior of a flattened configuration should be in general.

At present, some behavior (NSPathUtilities) seems to be controlled by GNUSTEP_FLATTENED when the base library is configured, and hard coded in, but other behavior (NSBundle/NSTask) ignores it and just tries to find the best files available ... ie looks for files in the unflattened structure and uses them in pre3ference to versions in the flatttened structure.

Probably GNUSTEP_FLATTENED should be in the config file (GNUstep.conf) so that it can be varied rather than being hard coded in NSPathUtilities. Should NSBundle/NSTask ignore stuff in the unflatttened hierarchy if running in flattened mode, or continue to use it as the preferred version?