Re: NSComboBoxCell bug

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: NSComboBoxCell bug
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:39:51 +0200

Am 05.05.2006 um 14:08 schrieb Andreas Höschler:

Hello,

responding to my own question. I did the following modification in NSComboBoxCell.m that seems to fix the problem.

While this may fix your problem, I'd strongly advise against it. Calling textDidChange: in validateSelection *is* the right thing to do because the contents of the combo box did change after a user induced change (which is when textDidChange: should be called according to the docs). Other objects watching the contents of the combo box may in fact rely on the NSTextDidChangeNotification being sent.

The problem really is that NSComboBox's textDidChange: method should not perform text completion. Instead, text completion should only be performed when the user has entered text, so I think it would be more appropriate to override insertText: in NSComboBox and attempt text completion there.

Regards
Wolfgang