Re: plists in UTF8

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: plists in UTF8
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:50:29 +0200

Pete French schrieb:
>>... but property lists are commonly parsed from NSString objects
>>loaded from file.
>
> [snip]
>
> Ah, yes, thats true. hadn't thought of that.
>

>>which says it should look for BOMs and, in their absence, use the
>>default encoding for the locale.
>

> The latter looks like a bit of an odd choice to me, as I always took
> the locale to be describing the character set the OS is using. So

Note that "the character set the OS is using" suggests a misleading
concept.  Neither the OS nor most file systems have a locale associated
with them.  A process has a locale.  Two processes with differing
locales will see a file name of the same file rendered with their
current locale (i.e. they may see different glyphs).  Of course the OS
generally does supply a mechanism to set the "default locale" (i.e.
inheriting the LANG/LC_* environment variables on POSIX systems).

-bash-3.00$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
-bash-3.00$ touch fileā‚¬
-bash-3.00$ export LANG=de_DE