ANN: Tryst 108

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: ANN: Tryst 108
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 13:37:27 +0200

Hi,

almost 2 and a half year, I'm happy to announce the release of a new version of Tryst (yes, I WAS still working on it :-)

* What is it?

Tryst is a library implementing the missing NSNetService and NSNetServiceBrowser classes.

Bonjour [1], formerly known as Rendezvous, allows you to register a network service, such as a printer or file server, so that it can be found by name or browsed for by service type and domain.

Using Tryst, applications can discover what services are available on the network, along with all necessary access information such as name, IP address, and port number for a given service.

As examples, currently two applications are included
- TBrowser, a simple browser that scans your network for Bonjour services
- TChat, a (very!) simple 1-to-1 chat client

* Status

This new version is a complete rewrite to ensure thread-safety (depending on your GNUstep installation) and a complete implementation according to Apple's specs on NSNetService and NSNetServiceBrowser.

Tryst is only fully tested on FreeBSD and Solaris, and in networks with Bonjour-enabled Windows and OSX installations.

* Known bugs

While monitoring TXT record updates, occasionally a previous entry is returned instead of the new one.

If you DO find any other bug (I'm sure someone will, though it's been thoroughly tested err used for almost a year) and/or have patches for your operating system of choice, please do not hesitate to contact.

* Requirements

- a recent installation of GNUstep-base that includes NSStream

- either
-- Apple's own mDNSResponder [2]
-- Avahi with mDNSResponder compatibility [3]

Please note that Avahi is untested, but should work in mDNSResponder compatibility mode. Howl is not, and probably will not be, supported (unless someone sends patches :-)

* License

First off, I usually use the BSD license.

However I do understand that lots of people do not feel comfortable with it. Therefor Tryst is put under a dual BSD/GPL license. So take your pick whichever suits your needs.

* Where to get it

I'm currently working on setting up a web site, probably with SVN/CVS access. Until this site is up and running, it's mail only... Sorry. (Don't worry about size -- a TGZ of the source is only about 50K)

* Links / Further reading

[1] http://developer.apple.com/networking/bonjour/index.html
[2] http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/
[3] http://www.avahi.org/