Re: How do you work with subdirectory in GNUstep GNUmakefiles?

From: Lloyd Dupont
Subject: Re: How do you work with subdirectory in GNUstep GNUmakefiles?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 17:15:09 +1000

Thanks Richard!

Regards,
Lloyd Dupont

NovaMind development team
NovaMind Software
Mind Mapping Software
<www.nova-mind.com>
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Frith-Macdonald" <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk>
To: "Lloyd Dupont" <lloyd@nova-mind.com>
Cc: "GNUstep Discussion" <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 5:09 PM

On 3 Jul 2006, at 07:21, Lloyd Dupont wrote:

(NOTE: I have this problem with MinGW on Windows)

My code span 2 directories:
"./"
"./ImportExport"

Now I could declare all my file in GNUmakefile's variable: "MyTool- ObjC_OBJC_FILES"

But when it comes to compile file in the subdirectory: "./ ImportExport"
I get an error:
ImportExport/MyObject.m:86: fatal error: opening dependency file shared_obj/ImportExport/MyObject.d: No such file or directory

I could fix it manually by creating the directory: "./shared_obj/ ImportExport/" Or by creating a target: "requiredDirs" and calling "make requiredDirs", but it would be nice to have the (default) target "all" create it.
How do I do that?

If you are putting code in subdirectories, each subdirectory should be handled as a subproject. You list the subprojects in the SUBPROJECTS variable of the top level makefile, and include aggregate.make to get the make system to use that information. The subprojects are built in the order that they are listed in SUBPROJECTS

If you just want code from a subdirectory incorporated into a library built at a higher level, you can add
libraryname_SUBPROJECT=subdirectory
to the higher level makefile.
See the gnustep base makefiles for an example of including the Additions, and unix or win32 subprojects into the base library.