Re: Question about MAC OS X

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: Question about MAC OS X
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:04:22 +0100

On 21/7/06 20:07, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
Hello all:

I am about to put some final touches on my ImageMagick Inspector before it's first release. I would like to know if there is something equivalent to /dev/shm in MAC OS X? If not, it there a default temp dir?

As I understand it, on Linux /dev/shm is a 'filesystem' which represents the virtual memory. There's no such thing on OS X; the VM subsystem is handled by a (potentially arbitrarily large number of) pager process(es); and the default OS X pager actually uses the root filesystem. If you want chunks of shared memory then you can use the shmget(2)/shmat(2) family of functions. Or you could create a named shm object with shm_open(2), delete it with shm_unlink(2).

Cheers,

--
Graham Lee
UNIX Systems Manager,