DirectFB/SDL backends

From: Eric Maland
Subject: DirectFB/SDL backends
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:07:03 +0100

Hi,

I see in some of the list archives reference to previous work on a GNUstep DirectFB backend. I have considered working on something like this and was wondering if anyone had either prior work to share or input on why it's a good or bad idea.

I've also considered building the backend on SDL, which has accelerated hardware support via DirectFB. Building it on SDL may also automagically add support on other platforms in some form. Is this a totally misguided idea or am I correct in thinking SDL could be a usable backend?

Also, is there any documentation on the backend? I can just read the code, but even a really simple design doc might save me an hour or two.

Thanks!
Eric