Re: cairo backend status

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: cairo backend status
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:06:51 +0800

On 8/16/06, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

Am 15.08.2006 um 08:01 schrieb Rogelio Serrano:

> things i hate about my linux pc:
>
> 1. it takes more than a second to boot up
> 2. keeps asking about filenames and directories
> 3. does not remember what i was working on yesterday

Sounds a lot Linux is in urgent need of support for sleeping.

One of the big favorites of my Mac is the implementation of sleeping:
never shutdown or boot again, have the computer at night in a quiet,
energy efficient state nonetheless. Wakeup is done in a second or two.

Well linuxbios can fix that. But not by sleeping. Just by booting up
really fast. early apple 2's boot up in 7 seconds. I figured that
multi gigahertz processors should bootup in less than a second. My
launchd like init can present a framebuffer based login screen in less
than one second. its the brain dead 16bit phase thats driving me nuts.

i also hate sleep states because of major acpi brain damage. although
linux software suspend would be nice band aid. but thats someone elses
headache.

thats minor really compared to going through a menu. or waiting for my
desktop to initialise and then i have to remember which file i was
editing. then remembering which directory it was in. then i have to be
careful about backups and then i have to be careful about filenames
because i hate it when some files just seem to disappear after mv or
cp or just plain save as. i also always have a vague feeling that the
file im editing looks a little different from day to day. i also
wonder how i accumulated more than i million source files. and that
some of these look vaguely similar. and oh i dont always remember
which email my boss sent me that discussed how we are going to improve
our email search engine. i hate it when my heart rate goes up and my
hands start to sweat when i see a '*' anywhere in the command line.
imagine wiping out your entire home directory! i hate it also when i
type ':' or esc multiple times involuntarily in thunderbird!

I just have to do something about it!

an init replacement was the first step. Then next is a cairo driven
framebuffer based editor that will solve all my problems.

--
things i hate about my linux pc:

1. it takes more than a second to boot up
2. keeps asking about filenames and directories
3. does not remember what i was working on yesterday
4. does not remember all the changes i have ever made
5.cannot figure out necessary settings by itself