Re: really attracting developers

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:28:16 +0200

Hi all,

Whats keeping other developers from gnustep?

incomplete ide?
incomplete nextstep based system?
incomplete libraries?

i don't buy the general applications unavailability argument. we are
talking about people who want to create apps under gnustep.

i don't buy the appearance argument either.

I doubt that any developer that got deep enough into the OPENSTEP/Cocoa specification will ever want to work with any other environment again. Cocoa/GNUstep is a killer from a developer standpoint. However, we do not only program for fun. A few of us also have to earn some bucks for their living and that means we have to find customers that use our software :-)

I started an attempt to migrate one of our customers from MacOSX to GNUstep (Solaris, Sun Ray). Although the Sun Ray approach has a bunch of advantages over Macs as clients (lower price per workplace, WANable, sessions can be bound to smart cards,...) the customer decided to purchase more Macs instead of Sun Rays. The argument: "This looks awful. No, I want Macs." (Footnote: We migrated this customer from Windows to Mac a few years ago)

Of course beating a Mac in the category Look & Feel is close to impossible even when using Cameleon. You might succeed in trying to migrate a user from Windows to GNUstep (NeXTstep theme), but you probably will never succeed in convincing someone to discard its Mac and use GNUstep instead. Nevertheless we want to do exactly that since Sun Rays and Solaris have so many other advantages. A sexy Look & Feel of GNUstep is important if we want to convince customers to use GNUstep apps for their daily needs.

Regards,

  Andreas