Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:44:48 -0400

On Aug 30, 2006, at 12:12 AM, Tima Vaisburd wrote:

Since I'm writing some image editor I happen to know that writing of
images in any format other than tiff is not implemented (and most people
need jpegs or pngs instead). We do not have a single backend that works
perfectly. The arts backend is prohibitely slow on remote connection.
Xlib does not support rotation and poorly supports transparency. There are
cairo backend in development, but it's not released yet.

This is exactly the sort of situation offering the most hope for GNUstep! It's complete enough to where one will write an application, or attempt a port, but the gaps are still there. *Nothing shows these gaps better or more usefully than application programming.* The best possible thing is to capitalize on this discovery and *work on* the GNUstep features in question. Sure, it takes a little time away from your own project, but it will end up making it run better, so there's a direct benefit, and it will help other GNUstep users.

The next best possible thing is to write a good bug report and put it into Savannah.

However, this is far less effective than the first alternative, because there really aren't that many people around willing to work on the libraries for their own sake. It's just not as interesting as working on apps. That's why simply waiting for the GNUstep libraries to be "finished", up to some abstract standard or according to some list of bugs, is not going to get us that last mile that we need.

I heartily urge all GNUstep app developers and porters running into roadblocks to follow the example of others on this list who have backed up their complaints and questions with code.