Re: Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:52:04 +0100

On 8/31/06, Tima Vaisburd <tima@vaisburd.net> wrote:
But I can't find an equivalent of gui/back combination. To my mind,
it's the gui/back that's crucial. But I'm repeating myself...

agree..

But I tried to demonstrate that simple tasks from Apple online tutorial, like
read the bitmap image, turn it 90 degrees, scale it twice and save back
cannot be done with the current state of GNUstep at all.
How can you do graphics, then?

hmmm which tutorial is it ? because you can already write in an image
context (at least if you use backart, but I think it works with
back-xlib too), so I'd think it should work, and if it doesn't it
shouldn't be much to fix...

No application satisfactory works remotely - at all. How can I choose,
say, GNUMail.app to be my default mailer?

why not?

Personally it was my default mailer for a long time (since then I
mostly use gmail though, because access everywhere is more convenient
to me, but well, it's not gnumail's fault!)

And I believe there are other areas. (E. g. I could not make cursor tracking
to work - again according to apple online tutorial).

Could you provide a small test program ?

To my mind, this is the lack of basic functionality. With those things
missing, the visual appearance of already working widgets becomes
a matter of secondary importance, I believe.

yep.

So I'll summarize again:

1. Let's be honest to ourself and to the outer world about the state of
    project completeness. Illusions can only harm.

ok...

2. It would be nice to finish certain pieces of functionality in GUI:
     - bitmap formats saving

Well, you can save in TIFF... :-P
Actually I implemented jpeg saving support, I will try to take the time
to clean it and commit it this weekend.

     - saving image after manipulation (already works?)

it should... I guess it perhaps depends how you do it, but basically I
create images on the fly in Camaelon, so ...

     - (does animation work?)

what do you mean?

     - cairo backend (and make it fast)

Yes..

     - maybe something else that other people know better

--
Nicolas Roard
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly