Re: really attracting developers

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:12:04 +0800

On 9/4/06, phil taylor <ptay1685@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 14:58 +0200, joekewoud_@joekewoud.nl wrote:

> > nextstep is all about the vertical menus and left hand vertical scroll
> > bar. its a complete ui design and it does not fit in windows. make it
> > behave like windows and you just reinvented windows.

Seriously? All that API wizardry, and the entire object oriented
framework is just there so you can put the scroll bar on the left and
have a detached menu? This is a very trivial assessment, and by
definition total nonsense.

of course the api is included. nextstep is all or nothing for me. if
you use the api and not the look thats not nextstep.

its academic for me because im doing exactly the same thing. im even
going beyond what the original poster is doing. im using gnustep to
build a non wimp ui. no menu no overlapping windows no scrollbars no
apps no folders no icons no window manager.

I would imagine the look of the GNUstep gui is one of the main reasons
GNUstep is nowhere near as popular as it could be. The other main reason
would have to be the lack of a simple and effective way to install it.

i dont agree. its not popular because it does not fit on the platforms
we shoehorned it onto.

I have just managed to get it working on Debian and am not very
impressed. Even though there is a package in the Debian repos, not all
the set up is done (environment path variables not configured). There
appear to be not so much as a single sample program - goodness knows it
wouldnt take a GNUstep developer more than a few minutes to knock up
some simple sample programs.

gnustep is supposed to be a development platform not a desktop. i take
that as saying that you use native tools to configure the plaform. for
me on debian that means lots of xterm windows alongside gnumail and
gworkspace. i wonder where nextstep consistency went.

Think I will go with SmartEiffel and GTK+.

to each his own...

i prefer dylan but well...

next year maybe...

--
the thing i like with my linux pc is that i can sum up my complaints in 5 items