Re: Some random thoughs and questions on the future of GNUstep

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: Some random thoughs and questions on the future of GNUstep
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:54:24 +0200

Now thats a very bad position to advocate for anything. Really. What about first learning CMake and then showing a prototype on how things work and would look like? :-)
That would be a much better basis to bring up such a proposal.

Shame on me, yes, but I'm tinkering with it every now and then.

What I miss about your proposal is outlining actual problems GNUstep has and which would be solved by using cmake (and how).

CMake was just the next best example I had ("[...] or better: Moving Away From GNUstep Make") and there's also gsjam, but as said, I still have to look into that. The general idea was, as stated, to outsource as much work as possible to be able to concentrate on -base, -gui and -back, I then just listed what CMake can do. Others already stated that a switch right now to *any* other build system would be more work than it's worth, and well, I'll just continue tinkering and see what comes up :)

What I like about GNUstep make is that its _not_ a reinvention of the wheel but a very clever use of the existing stuff. In fact you could possibly say that CMake is a reinvention of gstep-make? Probably around much longer ;-)

Nah, CMake is a cross-platform reinvention of Autotools :P. GS-M is a reinvention insofar that it's a complete build system.

I would be interested to see how a typical GNUstep make package would look like in cmake.

Do you mean a GNUmakefile? In the ideal/simplest case, a CMakeLists.txt for an application would look like

   FIND_PACKAGE(GNUstep REQUIRED)
   ADD_EXECUTABLE(SomeApp GNUSTEP_BUNDLE source1.m source2.c source3.mm)

or maybe

   FIND_PACKAGE(GNUstep REQUIRED)
   GNUSTEP_APP(SomeApp source1.m source2.c source3.mm)

I'll see.