GWorkspace for Newcomers

From: Walter Hunziker
Subject: GWorkspace for Newcomers
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 21:44:54 +0200

I have tried to install GWorkspace (is this the replacement of Window
Maker ???) but was not at all successful:

There are question-marks regarding the procedure itself:
1- one must install GNUstep firstly (no problem, if you find
   out from where, what level and howto)
 - it says to access "svn co http://svn ....... why?? how??
   what do I do after having read the list ??
2- after this you need the PDFKit framework. You do what with
   this? ./configure make install ?? or before you must do
   GNUsteps ??
3- after that you download "System Preferences" from the
   GNUstep-References (wow - how do I do that?)
   and having it downloaded - I do ./configure etc. no (!)
   I must do this different - as it says in the NOTES
4- and then you go to Mr. Google to find out what to do
   after it errors - a Belgium site helps here out:
   ", /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh"
   is needed.
5- After about 6 hours of seraching and installing its all
   there . no errors. great
6- But what now?? It doesnt start-up automatic, its not
   registered as an application. Its not in the list of
   desktops. Its nowhere.
7- when you find out it just wants "openapp GWorkspace.app"
   you are wrong again: "openapp" is unknown.

Well, well. I am not sure what the goal and priorities are. But when the
doc says, it is stable, then someone must have succeeded in installing it.

Maybe you can furnish me a location where I can get installation
guidelines or download a singel rpm which would solve most of the troubles.

Many thanks in advance and cheers, walt