Making Packages

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Making Packages
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:24:18 -0400

Just wondering if there is an easy way to install GNUstep to a different directory in order to make packages?  If I remember correctly, last time I tried "make DESTDIR=/whatever install" it just installed the packages to $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT instead of /whatever/$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT.  The reason why I want to do this is because since I test GNUstep on my Slackware computer I thought I might as well create a package and put it up on linuxpackages.net for others.  I'll probably be building Startup 0.16 instead of all the different packages just for simplicity.

On that note, what's the correct place to install GNUstep?  Is it /usr or /usr/lib?  Debian seems to put it on /usr/lib but GNUstep's default is /usr... so which one is it?

Stefan