How to use DO in a Foundation-based daemon

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: How to use DO in a Foundation-based daemon
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:23:43 +0200

Hi,

I'm looking for help on how to set up NSConnection properly in a gnustep daemon (Foundation only). I tried various strategies without success. I usually start gdomap from rc.local (running then with nobody identity), I have also tried to run it with root identity and the flags -fd.

When I call -registerName: on the connection, the method returns YES as if everything went smoothly but on gdomap side I can clearly observe that nothing happened. I checked registered names by running gdomap with -N flag too. The output doesn't include my newly registered name, but does include the names I register by calling gdomap -T number -R name.

Here is my setup code :

NSConnection *connect = [NSConnection defaultConnection];
NSRunLoop *runloop = [[NSRunLoop alloc] init];

[connect addRunLoop: runloop];
[connect setRootObject: myServerInstance];

if ([connect registerName: "serverName"] == NO)
        NSLog(@"Unable to register the name");

[runloop run];

The problem is the same if I use a custom connection and not the default one.

May be this problem happens because NSHost default isn't set? On my machine [NSHost currentHost] returns '((pcubuntu, localhost) (127.0.0.1, 127.0.1.1))'

If I link AppKit and I call [NSApp run] instead of setting up my own run loop, -registerName: returns NO failing in a clear manner.

Cheers,
Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé