Re: API for next stable release of base library

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: API for next stable release of base library
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:05:27 +0100

On 18 Oct 2006, at 14:47, Marko Riedel wrote:

Hello there,

thanks for the clarification. I guess there is no problem as long as the
deprecations are well-documented and posted to the list, thus giving
authors an opportunity to adapt their code.

My aim is to mark deprecations as follows ...

1. in the headers ... which should automatically feed through into the documentation. 2. for functions, mark them with the 'deprecated' attribute so the compiler will issue a warning if they are used. 3. for methods, use GSOnceMLog() so that a single warning will be printed at runtime if they are used (I wish the compiler supported the 'deprecated' attribute for methods).

This should ensure that developers get *at least* a full release cycle to adapt code (eg. something deprecated in 1.14.0 should be present in both 1.14.0 and 1.15.0).

However, I would like to get any deprecations in place as soon as possible ... so developers using svn will notice them and we can discuss on the mailing list whether deprecation is the right thing to do and/or if we should be moving some functionality rather than simply removing it. We can of course undeprecate something at any point before it is removed, but I think it's better to sort things out before the next release makes any deprecations 'formal', rather than change our minds after.