Re: A Suggestion: Global Defaults file

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: A Suggestion: Global Defaults file
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:15:57 +0800

Stefan Bidigaray wrote:
First of all, let me know if I'm way off base on this one!

> [snip]

Anyway, I'm not going to go much further into the way I think it should work since I don't know if something like this already exists.

As you said, its actually quite an old idea in its essential form.

If you read the filesystem hierarchy document you'll realise that *step defines USER, LOCAL, NETWORK and SYSTEM domains. The fuller idea is to have layered preferences in each domain. Apple have further extended this in their preference system to further split each. Look at the docs for CFPreferences

Regards,
Sheldon