Re: Word selection and cursor placement

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Word selection and cursor placement
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:39:15 +0100

Matt Rice wrote:

I don't know anything about right-to-left text flow,
but it seems to me that moveLeft: and moveRight should
have the same behaviour on both left->right and
right->left text because left is a literal direction,

corresponding to the left and right arrow keys,
i don't think that these should be affected by text
direction

where moveForward: and moveBackward: are non-literal
directions, which should be affected

i notice slight differences in the documentation

-moveRight: should be placed at the right end of the
former selection.
-moveForward: should be place at the end of the former
selection.

otoh, i'm not sure if what you describe here is a
difference of behaviour, or a different implementation
required to achieve the same behaviour under both
left->right and right->left, if you could clarify that
a little

In fact, what I was describing is a difference in the
implementation needed to achieve the behavior you describe
above (and to which I agree completely).

Wolfgang