Re: Embedded GNUstep - new rumours about embedded MacOS X and call for s

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Embedded GNUstep - new rumours about embedded MacOS X and call for support
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 02:16:17 -0800 (PST)

--- Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:
> >
> > On 20 Dec 2006, at 15:47, hns@computer.org wrote:

<snip>

> What I am planing to do is go through all of GNUstep
> gui and add the
> missing methods and classes for MacOS 10.4
> compatibility. In that
> process comparing code between mySTEP and GNUstep
> adding parts to
> GNUstep that are more advanced in mySTEP. I already
> started to work on
> NSDocument, picked randomly as I was working on the
> undo mechanism
> before. Here it shows that the hardest part is the
> comparison of the
> code as both libraries use totally different coding
> standards. I might
> have to use lint on mySTEP before comparing. Any
> other ideas are
> welcome. For NSDocument there were only little
> additions in mySTEP, but
> it turns out that Apple has added loads of new
> methods, which I now have
> to add to GNUstep.

i'm not going to go so far as to object to this, but
it seems as though there are already alot of
unimplemented methods and classes in GNUstep, and it
would be nice if they were easier to find when one
wanted to work on something,

there are albeit slim possibilities that something
could use autoconf or with objc's runtime
introspection to discover that some method is
implemented but does nothing, or throws a not
implemented exception (seen it happen with [NSPort
-machPort])

but these classes and what methods get sort of lost in
core, where objc is uniquely equipped with categories
for new unimplemented methods, that these new
unimplemented skeletons of classes could be provided
in a gnustep-todo library installable along side
base/gui then someone looking for something to do or
attempting to port something could easily identify
something which needs to be worked on