Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)
Date: 4 Mar 2007 23:33:10 -0800

On 4 Mrz., 18:36, Gregory John Casamento <greg_casame...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> > Well its a matter of getting a usable xhtml application within certain
> > constraints. I would like to have it as soon as possible. How long would
> > it take to port webkit?
>
> I'm not sure.  The tasks are this, as I see it:
>
> 1) Write an XHTML rendering engine from scratch or

It appears not to be as complicated as you think when doing it in a
concise manner with Objective-C only. What you need is:

a) an XML parser (NSXMLParser does fine if it has some additions to
lazily handle more or less well formatted HTML)
b) an XML/HTML -> DOMHTML* parser - I am currently finalizing that in
SimpleWebKit (it is more or less a table for translating tags to the
DOMHTML subclasses which provide some hints how to handle nesting)
c) a translator for a DOM hierarchy to a NSView hierarchy - this
finally does the rendering, so we do not need a new rendering engine
at all - maybe some additional NSView subclasses
d) wrap everything into WebFrame, WebView - this is already done
e) base NSAttributedString -initWithHTML: on these classes

> 2) Port WebKit
>
> It seems to me that neither task is trivial, so I'm not sure which would be
> completed first.  I would take a very wild guess that they would both take a
> while to accomplish in any usable fashion.

-- hns