Re: Symlinks from Tools to Applications

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Symlinks from Tools to Applications
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:00:24 +0100 (CET)

> On Windows for example, I think that we should create a simple loader
> application that sets up the environment to locate the various framework
> and tool paths to locate relevant DLL's using registry settings for the
> GNUstep location, and then spawn the application. Much like a binary or
> script form of openapp. We could then create shortcuts to these and put
> them in the start menu. An alternative approach is a full-blown Explorer
> shell addin (caution needed as it requires COM and a MS compiler).

I've been working on Windows in the past weeks ... and we're now far more
than that ... ie once you have all your stuff compiled inside MinGW, you can
take it
out of MinGW and use it directly as Windows native binaries (see the end of the
new README.MinGW).

In particular, I just double-click on the .exe and it works. :-)

And we use no registry, which is great as there are no conflicts if you have
multiple
installations.

So, we don't need any shell scripts or wrappers or anything.

Thanks

PS: We still need lots of thoughts on how to best package things for end-users
eg, I'd personally like to have a 'binary/end-user' GNUstep installer that
installs
gnustep-base.dll, gnustep-gui.dll, etc in the standard Windows DLL locations ...
(and no MinGW and no development environment) so that if I want to distribute
binaries of Gomoku.app for Windows (for example) I just need to compile it
under
MinGW and then I can just distribute the resulting Gomoku.app binary folder as
a .zip file, without having to include all the gnustep libraries that will be
provided by the GNUstep installer. (and still, people would be able to start
Gomoku.app by just double-clicking on Gomoku.exe).